Real World Experience in Journalism 1 and 2

Sign up is open on your course cards for 2023-24

Students learn about the newspaper, while learning about current events.

Course cards will begin to be distributed shortly. As usual there will be new course options including Journalism 1 and Journalism 2 Newspaper Staff.Journalism focuses on learning about the production of our school newspaper PawPrints. PawPrints was launched this October. Pawprints is continuing to grow in production and viewership. While working on the newspaper, we find and cover stories that are of interest to our students, parents and community. In Journalism students create the stories, take photographs, create promotional videos and social media marketing via our Instagram page and more.  

Journalism 1 is an introductory class designed to teach students topics that range from media literacy, media law, interviewing, writing, research, design, photography, marketing and more. However, the main focus is working toward creating content for our school newspaper, PawPrints and becoming a contributing staff member.   Pawprints is a real  publication, with real deadlines, real marketing needs and real life, resume and college building experience.

Carmen Quintana, freshman states, ” Journalism 1 is a good course to take because it helps with your fine arts requirement, can increase your GPA (grade point average) and looks good on your college applications. Plus it is fun.”

As a staff member students build their resume and college applications by gaining experience. Students can earn a title like, Sports Page Editor or Social Media Marketing Manager. Students create real on line content, whether it is an Instagram video, photography of school sports events, or writing a news story.  All of these opportunities will highlight real life skills on a resume and college applications as PawPrints is a real media outlet produced by students.   

Students can express their creativity via various media outlet forms.

PawPrints staff member, Fynn Dwyer finds taking Journalism 1 was a great choice, Dwyer states, “I think the class is really good for future writing careers and looks really good on college applications. It is also really good for team building and you get to connect with the people you’re writing with. Its been a really good experience.”

If that isn’t enough to get you signed up today, studies have shown that high school journalism students earn a higher grade point averages, score better on college entrance exams and demonstrate better communication skills than those who don’t take the course. In fact, studies show students who take Journalism score higher on SAT/ACT, get better grades in high school, and get better grades as college freshman (Newspaper Association of America Foundation). 

Journalism will open many avenues for students while giving them experience and practice in the field before secondary school.