Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Where The Future Lies Within The Girls’ Golf Team

Golf is a difficult sport to master because it involves mental toughness, skill, and, most importantly, judgment. The ladies’ golf team at Wesley Chapel, coached by Rick Boswell and assisted by Johann Harris, had a solid start to the 2023-2024 season. With their current record of four wins and three defeats, the girls will be able to qualify for districts and regionals. The difficulties and triumphs define a team, as it will influence where the Chapel Girl’s Golf team will be heading in the future.

Starting from the left: Danica Boswell, Sadie Beckstead, Ezinaye Ibiam, Melina Davila, Bella Matthews, Rick Boswell, Samantha Harris, Eva Matthews, Nicole Sanders, Danielle Motl, Alison Offutt, Tiffany Bui.

It was difficult for those who wished to join the sport a few years ago because WC was unable to put together a team. Despite having only four girls compared to this season, tripling in size, the girls are currently dominating the squad. “The sport has been growing. When I took over the program 3 years ago, Wesley Chapel had a hard time getting enough for our team, you need 4 to have a team. There were many years that there weren’t enough to have a team, so they played as individuals: 3 years ago we had 8 that year, then 8 last year, and now 12 this year but currently 11 on our roster.” [R. Boswell]

Following three losses, every team, from beginners to pros, would have to take some time to reflect on themselves personally and as a team, as consistency is an issue for all of the girls. Everyone takes bad shots, but none of them are going down without a fight. After dealing with some poor results, this team’s philosophy is what is causing it to flourish and grow in character. [R. Boswell] “The challenge is just trying to go against consistency, moving the ball, and getting those scores down into the double bogey golf range which is the mid-50s… But being able to go out and hit four times a week, you will get better and learn the game and you will get through to the next level, as I have many golfers that will do just that.”

Danica Boswell (JR), their returning three-year captain was able to provide insight into how difficult golf is, particularly during the mental and physical process, “The mental aspect is very challenging. It’s challenging because being out there for that long is all a mental game, you have to have self-confidence and believe in yourself, and that’s what makes up a lot of golf players…, if your mind gets in the way, you just have to zone in and focus on the game and also you can’t let your other team players psych you out.” Not only does Danica encounter these issues, but the majority of the team does as well, trying to find a way to remain unmoved while focusing on the main goal, which is to perform effectively without allowing their mind to interfere with the girl’s motivation. Keeping a positive attitude is crucial during these stressful periods. Alison Offutt (SR) briefly noted her routine of calming down her nerves; (During stressful situations) “I would take a step back and breathe, it’s just important to distract yourself from everything, just take a couple of deep breaths and focus on attacking the course and doing your best.”

Regardless of the challenges, success is a pivotal component of this team- the primary benefits of joining a sports team are learning new skills: acquiring fresh expertise that will be valuable later in life, and meeting new people… Having lessons to be learned, and picked up along the way, golf lectures “honor and etiquette- you self-referee yourself, and you call penalties on yourself.” [Boswell, R.] Furthermore, the first-year captain, Bella Matthews (JR), urges girls to join the team since it allows players to get outside of their comfort zone and form new companions- “I made a lot of friends on and off the team, like girls I’ve played against, and I made a lot of friends from that, and I learned how it feels to have a team.”

Like Lexi Thompson once said, “You have to believe you are meant for BIG THINGS.” Witnessing Wesley Chapel girls’ golf achieve many accomplishments despite the past is a memorable experience for these youngsters and their parents. The team’s chemistry is unrivaled, as teachings and gratitude are demonstrated both on and off the course. The girls’ golf team of 2023-2024 would like to urge future golfers, “If you are thinking about joining golf, do it, it’s worth it and so much fun, and do not stop, just believe in yourself, you can do what you can do and just trust yourself with it along the way. Tell yourself and make yourself believe you are a good golfer and a team player.” [Alison, Bella, and Danica]