Following in the Hoofprints

Are you wanting to join agricultural experiences but don’t know where to start? Well, Wesley Chapel High School’s FFA club might just be for you. The club known as Future Farmers of America helps students develop agricultural and career skills. All year round new students are welcome to join this nationally recognized organization.

FFA is an organization with students and staff from all 50 states and territories Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. This student ran club typically starts in middle school allowing kids to prepare for high school and the workforce. https://www.ffa.org/about/ is the official website for FFA and provides information such as “FFA is an intracurricular student organization for those interested in agriculture and leadership. It is one of the three components of agricultural education”. Wesley Chapel’s Sentinel (officer role) Madison Gulley, has been in FFA for 3 years and explains why she enjoys the club and decided to join. “Extracurricular activities and for showing animals through an organization.”

When it comes to raising an animal, everything seems very overwhelming. But with a little guidance, the path can be very smooth. If you are thinking about raising an animal and don’t know where to start, there are many options. Mrs. Farquhar, WCHS agriscience teacher, recommends raising a hog for your starting animal. “It is a relatively safe project but has enough of a cost to keep students interested and students showing a hog always complete their projects.” While raising animals is a wonderful experience that teaches many life skills, it can cost a lot of money. Wesley Chapel’s agriscience teacher Mrs. Thompson still recommends the experience to students with financial difficulties. “There are ways to get sponsored to offset costs or showing the chapter animal for those students”

Sometimes raising an animal is too difficult, but students still would like to participate in the club. FFA has competitions and classes to learn skills around communication. All these skills help students in the future in college or the workforce.

Many important life skills are taught through agriculture classes and FFA competitions. Mrs. Thompson has listed almost all the skills that FFA can teach to students. “FFA teaching many life skills as career development, leadership, public speaking, problem solving, financial experience, marketing and so much more.” While these skills seem very short-term and won’t matter in the future, they are so important when going into the real world. “The skills gained through FFA experiences will help students in all areas of their lives in the future.” Mrs. Farquhar explained.

Whether your wanting to experience the wonders of agriscience through raising an animal, or just wanting to build skills for the future FFA is here. Future Farmers or America has many competitions, classes, and ways to develop certain skills for the real world.