Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Is Homecoming Court The Most Important Part of Homecoming?

What is Homecoming Court?

Homecoming Court is made of a few members chosen by the students, these roles are Homecoming King, Homecoming Queen, and the royalty members that did not get either king or queen. In this article we will explain how they are chosen in Wesley Chapel, their responsibilities, and the requirements to be on homecoming court.

What role do they play, and how are they chosen?

The homecoming court plays a key role in homecoming in general; they represent the school during spirit week and during the homecoming football game/dance. The homecoming court first must go to the coordinator to get eligibility forms to be signed off by their teachers, then when ballots are released, they are elected by student votes. The nominees must first apply for court approval from the coordinator. Once the ballots have been completed, and counted, the coordinator will announce who is on court, and what position they are nominated as. Some schools announce court during the dance, while others will announce them in an assembly before the parade.

Wesley Chapel’s Requirements

In order for our students to get on the Homecoming Court Students must maintain a weighted GPA of at least 2.5, They must also maintain good behavior, this includes no referrals or suspensions. If the students meet these requirements, they will then be given a contract with other requirements and responsibilities. These requirements include cooperating fully with Student Government, the advisor of Student Government, and the WCHS Administration. They will abide by all the rules and regulations in the Student Code of Conduct. They must participate in the pep rallies, the halftime activities at the homecoming game, they must attend the homecoming dance. Finally, they must attend all of the homecoming court meetings with the appropriate attire.

Campaigning

The students applying for Homecoming court must abide to certain rules for their campaigns, these regulations include: only one 12″x18″ sign on the school bulletin board, they must not manipulate or cause the manipulation of students signatures on their ballot, they may distribute approved buttons, t-shirts, silly bands, ribbons, etc. as campaign strategy. Candidates may also campaign on social media networks via text messaging, providing they do not spam potential voters or harass other candidates. Once this is all complete, and the ballot are in, Homecoming court will be decided.

Homecoming King and Queen

The main responsibilities of the King and Queen are to represent the school during the homecoming parade, and during the halftime show at the homecoming football game. They will be seen walking the red carpet at homecoming and participating in the dance. These two are going to be nominated by students, usually based on how well they are known and how good their reputation is in the school, because of their high standing in representing the school at the homecoming game and during other activities.