Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Wesley Chapel Boys Basketball Team, 3 Games Away from States!

The boys’ basketball team is two games away from the regionals, so let’s see how they got to where they are currently. Amidst the echoing cheers and the swish of the net, the Wesley Chapel basketball team emerges as a formidable force on the court igniting excitement and anticipation among fans and foes alike. We interviewed Wesley Chapel High School basketball players Trey Murray and Sian Morris in the basketball gym before their Practice the Day before their first game in districts finals.

Before the two boys’ practice, we interviewed two players from the team. The boys were asked, “How did you maintain focus and stay motivated during the highs and lows of the season?” The Senior Guard, Trey Murray, answered with, “I just think of the bigger picture, making it to states is a goal of mine so I just want to stay focus and do anything possible to get there.” Wesley Chapel boys’ basketball team will be tested this weekend while in pursuit of a FHSAA district championship. Saturdays District semifinals at Zephyrhills tips off with Chapel vs. Zephyrhills.

Wesley Chapel High School basketball team is being led by last year’s top scorer in the state of Florida, senior, Trey Murray, averaging (22.3) points per game and behind him, helping in scoring, is juniors Ethan Hicks averaging (15) points per game, and Sian Morris averaging (18.2) points per game and (3) assists per game. Later in the season, junior point guard, Sian Morris, Picked up his 1000th point in a high-level game against Central Highschool.
On Saturday, February 10th, the Wildcats got a win in an intense game against Zephyrhills. The score was 55 to 47. On Sunday, February 11th, the regional standings came out, the teams that made the 5A region 2 Bracket consists of Blake with (22-5) record, Zephyrhills with (16-11) record, Wesley Chapel with (22-5) record, Orlando Jones with (12-13) record, Leesburg with (16-4) record, Lecanto with (21-6) record, Jesuit with (21-7) record, and Vanguard with (15-11) record. Wesley Chapel will be matched up against Orlando Jones for the 2nd time for regionals. Though Jones came out with the win last year, the Wildcats are coming back with a new and improved team to compete against the competition.