Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Scary Movie – A Movie Review

No schoolwork to do on Halloween? Friends don’t feel like hanging out? It takes a real sucker to be depressed on Halloween. Instead, scream with glee as you watch “Scary Movie!” A well known classic and hilarious installment to the teen horror genre which dominated the early 2000s.

“Scary Movie” is a hysterical ride. Even while re-watching the movie again to write this review, I found myself cackling in pain within the first 20 minutes! To sum up the premise without spoiling anything, the movie is transfixed on mocking the horror movie genre and its many exhaustive troupes, it never seems to take itself seriously and has gags at every single corner.

Its plot follows a group of dumb highschoolers. Cindy and her friends Buffy, Brenda, Bobby, Drew, Greg, Ray, Drew and Shorty. A year before the main story line, the cast had been on their way home from a Halloween party when Bobby made the egregious mistake of running a man over. Haunted over the fact that they had all taken part in the killing of the man, Bobby, Brenda, Cindy, Ray, and Greg come to the agreement to dump the body in a river and never mention it again.
The next year, after the anniversary of the man’s death, the crew begins dropping like flies in hilarious ways by a serial killer Cindy names “Ghost Face”. ‘Scary Movie is a masterclass film when it comes to terms of balancing plot direction and comedic retort.

To me, “Scary Movie” was a killer stalks group of teens scenario but with a twist. The cast is constantly made self-aware by the camera, half the time the cast felt like they were preforming their skits on the fly without scripts! Each memorable scene in one form or another always seems to reference pop culture. If you have nothing going on for you this Halloween, I suggest you take the time to watch “Scary Movie” with a couple of your friends and loved ones.