Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

What is Christmas Like in Different Parts of America?

Holiday tradition in America North, South, East and West

Holidays in the United States can be very different from family to family. The U.S. has a reputation for having one of the most culturally diverse populations in the Western Hemisphere. As a matter of fact, WCHS’s demographic makeup has changed a lot over the past decade. Now our school has a myriad of diverse groups going about their academic lives.  When I think of Christmas in America, the image of Christmas carols and shopping instantly comes to mind.

The diverse traditions across our states contribute to many differences in how we perform our holiday celebrations. In this article, I’d like to illustrate how even from the bustling city streets adorned with festive lights to the cozy gatherings in rural communities, each region paints its unique picture of Christmas.

In the Southern states like our own, Christmas gatherings are marked by mild weather and outdoor celebrations similar to that of a Thanksgiving feast, while in the Northern regions like Chicago or New York, the holiday season often includes snow-covered landscapes and winter sports. I’m actually from upstate. I lived in Wells, Maine throughout elementary school near a popular pier. Our family had a fun tradition where we’d cast a vote over what we would decide on doing over break. I’d almost always vote for outdoor activities like snowboarding or sledding. I’d sometimes draw the short end of the stick and have to sit through a boring, old movie night. Maybe I’m still in my feelings because my time would have been better spent making more memories shredding down a slope than watching Elf for the 8th time in a row.

The West Coast may embrace a more relaxed and beach-oriented Christmas vibe, contrasting with the traditional snowy scenes in the East. From what I understand, Christmas shopping is all the craze on the West Coast due to their fast-paced urban lifestyle. Trendsetting is intrinsic to communities like that of California, but nowadays, where isn’t it?

Despite these differences, one thing remains constant: Christmas is a time for togetherness, joy, and creating lasting memories. So, as you celebrate Christmas this year and every year after that, appreciate the diversity that makes this holiday season uniquely American.

Happy Holiday’s WCHS!