Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Theatre Classes at WCHS!

Next year, new classes involving theatre will be offered at Wesley Chapel High School!

This year, Wesley Chapel High School only offers Acting 1-4, and while this is an amazing opportunity for students interested in acting, next year not only will there be acting classes, but there will also be other theatre-based classes offered to students. 

In acting classes, students primarily learn the fundamentals of stage and film acting. However, they alongside those skills, will also learn abilities in social settings, real world situations, and build their confidence. In acting classes, the students all have the opportunity to act in a proper, on-stage production called ‘The Comedy Show’. During the annual Comedy Show, each class period has their own short play that they will be working on in class to then perform in front of a live audience!  

Alongside being the only school with a film festival, Wesley Chapel High School is also the only school in Pasco County that offers a Playwriting class. Unfortunately, in this most recent school year, Playwriting was unable to be offered to students, however, next year the course will be back in action! Students taking Playwriting will be able to learn how to write their own plays, work on world building, character building, and the principles of what makes a good character/world in any production. Alongside the writing of the story, students will be able to see their plays as a rough draft in action on Mr. Gaudet’s stage once each story is finished. 

Not only will Mr. Gaudet be bringing back a class he has years of experience in next year, but there will also be a brand-new course! Next year, Technical Design will be offered to students, and anyone can sign up, no prerequisites are needed! Some may not realize it, but any movie, show, live play, or musical wouldn’t exist without everything that goes on behind the scenes. In Technical Design, students will have the opportunity to learn about what goes on behind the curtains, like the costumes and makeup. Every part of a production is made possible through the tech crew. The lights, sounds, and background designs are all things students will be able to learn about in this class. Not only is it an interesting course, but it also provides some experience that can be used during Wesley Chapel High School plays! 

Next year brings so many opportunities for students interested in theatre, all run by a teacher who is passionate about his job and who wants to help students succeed. There’s no harm in trying something new, and theatre could be something you or a friend may be very passionate about once it’s given a chance!