Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

The Oldest City In The U.S.

A Review Of St. Augustine, FL
Historic Downtown, St. Augustine. For Christmas, this large structure was wrapped in lights.

I went to the nation’s oldest European established settlement, in other words, the oldest city in America. How old? Two hundred years before George Washington old, the city being founded in 1565, to be exact. Turns out that the oldest city in the U.S. has a medieval torture museum too. Yes, a museum of torture. Located in the state of Florida, St. Augustine is a time machine that takes you back to colonial times, while adding some more modern locations for all kinds of entertainment for your own enjoyment. From the well loved colonial style street lined with shoppes and restaurants, St. George Street, to the famous St. Augustine “El Castillo de San Marcos” monument, to the famous “Old Town” historic district of the city. It was clear that St. Augustine had more than history within the city, but it also had dozens of attractions for everyone to enjoy. I soon found that out.

In the St. Augustine fort, the short and narrow stone walls are surrounded by many people visiting the attraction, the street always packed with cars and decorated golf carts giving people tours. The golf carts are everywhere throughout the city, some decorated with neon lights and cushions, or playing music on their speakers, and also carriages pulled by horses, giving people tours of the city. St. Augustine being known for its many shopping locations, streets were jammed with restaurants, vendors, shoppes, and yes, even a medieval torture museum, this being concernedly popular.

In the span of 72 hours, we went to St. George Street, a packed colonial style street full of shoppes and restaurants on either side. One of which, some of the restaurants are known for their famous crepes. Roosevelts Room is where we ate, a 1920’s inspired brunch restaurant known for their fresh, locally sourced ingredients. A hotspot for picture takers, and amazing food. We also went to one of the Catholic churches in the city, a perfect place for quiet prayer in a calm and beautiful place. For artists at heart, or people who love art as much as I do, the Lightner museum was my favorite place of all. Plenty of exhibits for wandering eyes, this museum was full of varieties of art. To collected soda tops made into a picture, to Egyptian tombs, to porcelain vases that glowed through light, and many other pieces of art that would catch the eye of pretty much anyone.

At night, a walk through the city of St. Augustine are where the best views and sights await you. The entire city glows with decorated lights that adorn the great oak trees, to the lit up golf carts, to the great colonial buildings that are wrapped in brilliant golden light. For being the oldest city in America, it was full of things to see and learn. People from the community, such as a child setting up a boom box that played Michael Jackson and started moon walking (yes, this happened). It was amazing to get so much from one city, and I would recommend this well loved city to anyone.