Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

NFL Football is Back!

It is now week 4 of the NFL season. There is a lot that is happening so far with injuries, players on new teams, new coaches, and even teams doing surprisingly good compared to their projections from the league. This year is getting extremely exciting with some of the very large stats from players and some of the defenses have gotten exceptionally good with some of their performances. 

Some of the big performances on offense so far in the league have been some of the craziest of their careers. The first one is Tyreek Hill he had a breakout game first game against the Los Angeles Chargers. He had an impressive stat line with 11 catches, 215 yards, and 2 touchdowns. They won that game 34-36. Tyreek is a star and someone people love watching. Another performance that someone had so far this season, is Baker Mayfield on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he played a phenomenal game for the Bucs as their starting QB against the Chicago bears. His stats included a passer rating of 114.5, which is very good for a QB; he also completed 26-34 passes, a high percentage for this, he also threw 1 touchdown and had 0 interceptions. Everyone looks forward to watching him as he is a very underrated player in the league.

Everything is not about offense though defense will win you some game which shows in the NFL. Some big team defense performances are, the steelers who played against the Clevland Browns, they went to win that game 26-22. Their defense stats for that game were, 1 interception which was took back for a 30-yard touchdown, they also had 3 sacks that game which is amazing for a defensive line. The biggest thing was when their star defensive lineman T.J Watt forced a fumble and recovered it for 17 yards to put them up by 3. Another team is the Dallas Cowboys who have kept both teams they have played against to only 14 and 16 points. They have a star defensive player Micah Parsons who has had 3 sacks within 2 games and is projected to do even better the rest of the season. 

The last thing im going to talk about is the worst thing that can happen to you in the athlete community, injuries there are a lot of injuries so far and there are not good. The first one is a very well-known QB Aaron Rodgers. He injured his lower calf and tore his Achilles tendon. This is not a tendon to mess with because it’s a very big support in your lower leg. He is going to be out for 9 months to a year, but people are saying he’s going retire because he’s already 39 and has had a good Carrier and financially set. The next big injury is Star browns running back Nick Chubb, he has one of the worst injuries ever with a dislocated knee three torn ligaments, the ACL, MCL, and LCL. He also has major cartilage damage. He is going to be out for the rest of the season. The last injury is Carlos Watkins who plays for the Arizona Cardinals. He has a torn left bicep. He must get surgery to return to the league because of the restrictions of movement. He will be out for 3-5 weeks.

So, if you like sport and very intense competitive games this NFL season is for you. There is so much to see because of all the trades and crazy performances, also once playoffs come around that when it gets even better because of the stuff that is on the line.