Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Running Into the Track Season

Half of the school year is over, which means spring sports are hosting tryouts! This year the coaches are not going easy for the boys’ team track tryouts. Pre-tryouts students were required to attend after school practice, then tryouts were last week on Tuesday January 30,

2024. The track team did amazing last year with many kids participating and working hard though they did not compete for districts. With the events Wesley Chapel high school offers 800m, 1500m, 5000m, 10000m, 3000m steeplechase 100m hurdles, 110m hurdles, 400m hurdles High jump, long jump, triple jump! These students are working hard this year to place a spot on the team.

The Coaches Dr. Hayden and Coach Hayden will not go easy on these kids choosing only the best! They just released the roster last Wednesday January 31, 2024, with all the boy’s student numbers who made the team. The Wchs boys track team tryouts and pre-practice were held at the Wesley chapel High school football field and track. After school, every day boys would run, workout, and stretch trying to prove they should be on the team.

Furthermore, there have been practices before school for a couple of weeks leading up to the tryouts. Xavier Hernandez claims “I would go to practice and come home sore because they push us to our max.”. The coaches are not only looking for speed but accuracy, determination, and drive. Many are confident with the improvement of this season.

Track has more than just running and jumping. People can learn many things by just participating in a track team for one season. Not everyone can do track because it is a mental sport and pushing yourself past limits. It depends on your mindset on how much you achieve and being able to push the pain away. It also calls for hard work to get better, greatness will not come if there’s no hard work behind it. These kids disciplined themselves so well and are going to accomplish many things this season!

Now, with the official roster of all the boy members out they will start working towards their first meet. Every day after school, these boys will work hard to get faster and more efficient. The roster posted has a long list with all the students’ numbers instead of names, therefore I cannot include names. Many hours a week after school running, working out, and stretching building their strength. The track team is on the road to success!

This was only the beginning for the track team. With the good team sportsmanship and hard work form the students shows they are motivated and have big goals to achieve. Their first meet is coming soon on February 24, 2024. Many are hyped up about the weekend coming up!

Say hello to our new 2024 track team and wish them luck. Let’s go Wildcats