Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

Boyette Brawl 2023

Wesley Chapel V. Cypress Creek High School Football Game
Boyette Brawl 2023

The Boyette Brawl is the yearly football game between Wesley Chapel High School and Cypress Creek High School. Both schools on opposites sides of Boyette. Playing for the Boyette Brawl sign and to see who’s the best on the road. Last year the coyotes beat the wildcats taking the sign away from them in a 42-6 victory. The Wildcats look for revenge this year and to reclaim the sign.

This year it was more than just a rivalry game, it also was senior night. It was a moment many players, cheerleaders, and band members had been waiting for. The senior walkout a celebration dedicated to the seniors. Some being four year players some recently joined, the celebration is still the same for all.

The game started off with the Wildcats kicking off. The game began as a defensive battle with both offenses taking turns with the ball. The coyotes forced an interception returning it to the wildcats 35 yard line. The wildcats defense held up forcing the coyotes to take a 37 yard field goal putting them up 3-0. As the wildcats got the ball back the cypress defensive forced a fumble recovering at the Chapel 27-yard line concluding the first quarter. As the coyotes were gifted with good field position the wildcats defense held up pushing the coyotes offense back. Forcing them to take a 53 yard field goal. Putting them up 6-0. The following possession the wildcats put together a drive getting inside the cypress 20 yard line. They were unable to get the first down so they had to settle for a field goal attempt. It was a turnover as the wildcats were unable to make the field goal. Cypress got the ball on the wildcats twenty and tried putting together a quick drive as the second quarter was coming to an end. A long pass from quarterback Jack Niemann to reciever David Kirk put them into field goal range. They were able to get more than that as a pass to receiver Shawn Smith got them in for the first touchdown of the game. They took a 13-0 lead. Chapel got the ball back but was unable to do anything forcing a punt as cypress used all their timeouts to reserve time on the clock. They were able to score another touchdown off a 40 yard touchdown pass from Niemann to Roman Sercu. They went for 2 and got it successfully putting them up 21-0 as they went into halftime.

The wildcats were set to receive the ball to start the second half but cypress tried getting tricky with an onside kick but it was unsuccessful as the wildcats recovered. The wildcats had to punt it away. The cypress offense came out hot. Putting together a nice drive that ended with a rushing touchdown by cypress running back Malachi Askin. The wildcats had a nice drive going get as far as the coyotes 2 yard line but a strip sack gave the coyotes the ball back. They were unable to do anything off the turnover, resulting in a punt. As the fourth quarter ended the score was 28-0. The wildcats got the ball on their own 40 yard line. A few plays into the drive a 55-yard pick six was thrown. The final score was 35-0.