Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

‘Chapel High’s Tech Teach: Mr. Concilio

An interview with our school’s AP Computer Science teacher, Luis Concilio.

Step into the world of our computer science with Mr. Concilio as we learn what computer science is, how one can become a computer scientist, and how difficult AP computer science is. Students, ignite your curiosity as we step into the ever-growing world of coding, game design, and tech.

Question 1: What’s your background?

“My name is Luis Concilio. I was born and raised right here in Wesley Chapel and haven’t lived elsewhere. I graduated from Land O’ Lakes High School, and following that, I attended Pasco-Hernando State College for my associate’s degree. I actually dropped out of Hernando State because I felt as though it wasn’t for me, but after a couple of years of doing odd jobs here and there, I decided to go back and finish my associates. Following Hernando State, I attended Saint Leo University, majoring in mathematics and minoring in Education. After I graduated from Saint Leo, I taught at Gulf High School for 9 years and went to Wesley Chapel due to it being closer to home. Right now, I have a master’s in Education Leadership and am currently working on a doctorate in the same field.”

Question 2:  What made you interested in teaching computer coding?

“Experience in computer programming is a requirement for earning a degree in mathematics. Back when I was learning it, I thought it was a bit pointless because it didn’t seem directly tied to my future career, which turned out not to be true. I was good friends with the teacher who taught Computer Science before me here. When she left, she told me that I would have a great time teaching it, and since I already had experience in computer science, I was already pretty familiar with the curriculum. And she was right; I have really enjoyed teaching it.”

Question 3: Why should students be interested in taking computer science as a course and how could they benefit by doing so?

“Computer coding is so important. It’s in all facets of modern life. Knowing your way around a computer is especially important now with tech becoming essential to daily life. Everyone uses phones nowadays, so the need to base an industry on that fact is more apparent than ever. Due to the profuse nature of tech, businesses and people have steadily begun to rely more heavily on computers and other electronic devices throughout their daily lives. With that growth came the tech industry we now see today having jobs for all levels of computer literacy. Even if you only know a little bit of coding, say how to use Python, that much could land you a job in the field as soon as you graduate high school. Better yet, you don’t necessarily need to go to college to program; as soon as you graduate high school, you’ll have the ability to earn money quickly. It’s important to note that computer scientists often set their schedules, finishing projects at their own pace. This is in contrast to a regular office job where you would get paid by the hour. Whereas in the field of computer science, professionals are typically paid on a per-project basis. Being familiar with coding at the high school level is a great opportunity, and if kids do go down that path they’ll find a lot of options waiting for them.”

Question 4: Is computer science a particularly hard course to take?

“In actuality, AP Computer science is a relatively straightforward course so I wouldn’t call it too high maintenance, we have a lot of projects and assignments where you’re asked to make small games or identify vocabulary words and concepts, things of that nature. It is an advanced placement course; students are expected to put in work for their grades. It does however, require a lot of patience and perseverance so be wary of the fact that it isn’t just another class to sit through, there’s a lot of trial and error involved in coding and fixing bugs in your code. That being said, it’s fun and especially rewarding when you finally get a line of code to run. If you’re into computers and stuff, go ahead and sign up next year, no matter what grade you’re in.”

I’d like to thank Mr. Concilio, for taking time out of his instruction to come and talk to us here at Paw-Prints about his AP class. Many of the students here at Wesley Chapel aren’t very well informed on school-related events and extracurricular activities. I personally believe that responsibility falls on the condition and accessibility of our paper. We would appreciate it if you could share these kinds of articles with friends and classmates who might take interest in school-related Mumbo Jumbo.