Wesley Chapel High School Pawprints Student Newspaper

Wesley Chapel High School - Newspaper Pawprints

The FSU Alumni: Mr. Rice

Interviewing the famous teacher of AP World History, AP Seminar and AP Macroeconomics

The past is something we often get stuck over, but soon forget. A broken relationship, a lost opportunity, even a regrettable decision are things we learn from our past so we could have a better future and never make the same mistakes twice. People fail to realize why history from millions of years ago serve a purpose today: the past always leaves a trace, whether it be a lesson or an influence, and the learning of why they learned that lesson instead of us is the key to a better world. Learning what you don’t know, is old but crucial knowledge important to a certain teacher who thrives in the past.

“Never stop learning” is the wise wisdom from AP World History, AP Seminar and AP Macroeconomics teacher, Mr. Rice. The serious yet hidden humored teacher is well known for his team building teaching style, and his ability to make the class laugh with his comedic side shows. He is also known for his undying support of FSU, down to his clothes, coffee mug, and of course, the flag of his beloved FSU. When asked if he was a huge fan of the university, the teacher assures us; “I am! My daughter goes there now, but I went back in ’91 to ’94… even before then I was a fan, so I ended up going there. Its hard to not be a fan.”

Political science, was apparently not enough history for Mr. Rice, as his want for knowledge of the past drove him even further into it. “I also studied theology, theology is religion. It was almost like another history major, that’s why I liked it so much.” As surprising as it was, the history teacher’s first reason as to his choice in why he chose to teach was: he loves the history. Why he loves it so much? Simple. The continuous pattern of events, and how other parts of the world go through those same events at different times. “It makes it easier when they start coming together like that. Its also interesting working that concept alongside the kids.” We thank Mr. Rice for his time in this interview and his willing dedication to make sure everyone knows he is a FSU fan. But, also for his constant dedication in every class he has, working alongside his students in his own unique way.

Florida State Seminoles football - Wikipedia